Let me start off by saying, "I hate packing." I overthink it and regardless of how much time I spend, I always end up wanting to wear something that is thousands of miles away hanging in my closet. However, I have managed to perfect packing my carry-ons. I've already shared how much I love my Kipling, so let's talk about what I put inside it.
These the things you DON'T need and will just take up space.
1. Your entire wallet. I highly doubt you're going to need a punch card for that random local coffee shop in a different city/state or the middle of a foreign country. So take your ID with a couple of credit cards and put it in a small wallet.
2. Planner/Agenda. You say you're going to look at it. You won't.
3. Leave some of your makeup at home. Eye shadows breaks, things spill, powders crumble...save yourself the heartbreak and money. Depending on where I'm going I very rarely bring more than the essentials. *Concealer, bronzer, tinted moisturizer, mascara and a couple of lipsticks. A small eyeshadow pallet if I'm feeling up to it.
Then, there are the things I can't leave without.
1. Portable chargers. Yes, plural. I purchased the 100 hour Mophie charger on Cyber Monday last year and it was the best decision I ever made. I have the smaller Mophie in my purse and toss the larger one in my carry-on.
2. A black sweater. You'll use it more than your phone.
3. Converter. If you're leaving the country do yourself a favor and get more than one converter. And get the correct one for the country you are visiting. Please.
4. Headphones. I always keep a pair of Apple headphones rolled up in my purse regardless if I'm traveling or not. But I bring along my Beats for the plane ride. Nobody can stand those little headphones in their ears for more than a couple of hours.
5. One big plastic bag INSIDE a cosmetic bag with the following contents: Kiehl's 'Facial Fuel' Eye De-Puffer, face wipes, Caudalie Beauty Elixir, lotion, toothbrush, toothpaste, chapstick. *I put it all in a plastic bag so when I go through security I'm not rummaging for all my liquids. (And keeps any potential spills contained.) Don't forget the 3.4 ounces rule.
I make it a rule not to wear makeup if I'm going to be on a flight for more than a couple of hours. I take the opportunity to give my skin a break and stay hydrated. That way I don't wake up with smudged makeup after falling asleep watching reruns of Friends.
6. Small bag of hair ties and pins. They always seem to disappear while I'm on vacation.
7. My cousin judges me hard for this, but I don't care. I always bring more than one pair of sunglasses. There's nothing like having your sister sit on your sunglasses. (I'm pretty sure I've done this to my brother more than once.)
8. Travel meds. My mom is the queen of being prepared, so when we're traveling together I'm not as good about this. But having at least some Motrin on you can't hurt.